Wednesday, July 9, 2008

4th of July!

Is it too late to post about the 4th of July? This one is for the scrapbook...


I LOVE the 4th of July--always have. It's funny how old family traditions MUST be followed or a holiday just doesn't feel like a holiday. I am one of those people...every year I drag everyone out of bed at 5:45a.m. so we can start the 4th of July off "the right way" by going to see the hot air balloons take off. Every year I get there and wonder WHY? Why do I do this to myself?? This year, as we are RUNNING because I don't want my kids to miss the magical moment when all the balloons are filled and ready to take off, Gavin looks at me and says--very put out, "Mom, why we come to this EZZZZER (every) year?" I don't know if he will ever see the magic in it like I do, but I guarantee 20 years from now he will be dragging his kids out of bed too--because that is what you do on the 4th of July! (This year we cheated and went the day before to beat the crowds and simplify the day--highly recomend it!) Later that day he did come up to me and say, "That was nice air balloons, mom. That was very fun."...ya...made it all worth it.















Brents family tradition for the 4th morning is a very yummy brunch--Grandpa Smith makes really great omelets to order. We swam in the pool, had a water balloon fight and capped the morning off with a race! Great morning!




Then it was off to my side of the family for more food and more swimming. Really fun afternoon!
I think we are at 29 Grandkids with 2 more on the way! Doesn't feel like that many--except Sunday afternoons when we are all in one room at Grandma and Grandpas!





























Now, the final tradition of the 4th of July is one that Brent will never understand. My family likes to be directly underneath the exploding fireworks--not on a hill or in a park a mile away--UNDERNEATH. It was nice before the Stadium of Fire when everyone could sit on the grass. These days you will find us on the pavement across the street from the stadium. It's hot. It's definetely not comfortable...but it's TRADITION!











4 comments:

Messenger said...

I did the balloons too Maria, yikes why? Maybe next year we'll sleep in:) sounds like it was a fun day.

jimnalli said...

oooh I LOVE 4th of July! those are amazing pictures of the balloons!

Allred's said...

Hey,

This is Mary VanCott Allred I added you to my blog, if you want to add me it is aaronmaryallred.blogspot.com
Thanks!

Laur said...

hey, its lauren. wow i am attractive in the big cousin picture...NOT haha awww they are sooo cute though!!! Love you, probably seeya tonight at gmas :P