Monday, November 17, 2008

Results from the sleep test

Well, we met with the sleep doctor today. I wish I had come out of that meeting feeling like everything would be OK--but I am really not sure what to think. He said Gavin has severe Central Sleep Apnea and he wants him to meet with a Pulmonary Specialist in Salt Lake. He showed me the results of the sleep test which were so absolutely incredible! Who invents stuff like this? Anyway, he wakes up 17 times an HOUR. He will breath for 3 breaths and then skip 3 breaths. The amount of info was astonishing! I have been reading a little bit about CSA and cannot get any real answers as to what it is and how it is treated--most people that have it are either old people with heart failure or people on narcotics. We will meet with the specialist on Dec 3 and I will have a little more info. In the mean time, he has Gavin sleeping with oxygen to see if we can get the oxygen levels to be consistent throughout the night. One thing he did say that gave me some encouragement is that this condition could be the origin of many if not ALL of the other symptoms Gavin has had: lack of energy, shortness of breath after very little exertion, week lungs, chronic conditions like pneumonia and coughing, lack of attention span, small stature, etc. So in that sense I was a little relieved. FINALLY we have SOMETHING of substance! I have always thought his breathing wasn't really asthmatic. We have tried several asthma medications, which have seemed to help a little with the boogers--but never completely cure it, and his breathlessness has never changed. He also said people with sleep apnea don't really produce this growth hormone, and that once the problem is solved they experience a big growth spurt! Wouldn't that be something! All in all--I feel hopeful that we can finally get some answers. I'll let you know after December 3!

5 comments:

Pattens on Lambourne said...

Well what a relief! I am sure that makes you feel a lot better, to finally have some answers. Poor guy! I bet you will sleep better tonight!

Crazy Zumba Lady said...

Whew... I am so glad that things are coming together a little bit more for you guys as far as gavin!! It was so fun to see and read about all of your fams going ons!! my kids loved the binkey fairy video! Darling!! after I showed bronx the pics of kes at the dentist he said "well if she can do it so can I" he had a bad experiance last time at the dentist, so thanks to those pics i think we have a better shot at getting him there!

J&B Barrett said...

Yay, Finally something! ps the binky fairy pictures and video are hillarious!!!! YAY JENNA!

JVC said...

Hey Maria. Let us know with Gavin. Thanks for the invite to your blog.
Johnny

Messenger said...

Oh my goodness Maria how crazy, I really hope they can do something for him, I be it will make life so much easier.