Friday, September 18, 2009

Brent puts his foot down...

Today Brent came home from work at noon and demanded that we take advantage of the BEAUTIFUL day and go boating up at Strawberry Reservoir. Doesn't it sound like a lot of fun? I knew how fun it was going to be. Let's just say, I was VERY tempted to call Bonnie and send HER with Brent, Gavin & Kesley and then send Jenna to play at a friends house and then I would...well...a movie? :) But, you know, making memories and all that...

Brent took off to go pick up kids from Preschool and Kindergarten and check Gavin out of school. While he was gone, I threw together Grandma Gwen's yummy Taco Soup recipe (so yum and takes 10 minutes!) As soon as they pulled up, I threw some play clothes on them while Brent hooked up the boat and we took off!

I was sure Jenna would sleep the whole way up, but true to form--she fell asleep 2 minutes before we pulled up to the dock. I decided to stay in the car and let her sleep for at least 1/2 hr.

Brent couldn't wait another second, and took the other two out "cruisin." The skies were looking pretty dark, and there was a light rain mixed with a few lightning bolts, but nothing was keeping those guys from hitting the water.

About 1/2 hour after they left, the storm picked up a little and I watched them drive up, park the boat and then high tail it up to me in the car. They were cold, but nobody wanted to leave. We decided to stick it out for awhile to see if the storm blew over. I broke out the taco soup, Fritos, cheese and sour cream and we sat back and enjoyed the storm!

I do have to admit, eating taco soup in a confined area like a car, starts to smell like old farts after a while...

Brent assumed his usual position. That guy can sleep ANYWHERE!
After about 20 minutes, the worst of the storm had blown over and Jenna was awake. We all loaded into the boat and headed out. It turned out to be so beautiful! The water was smooth as glass and the lake was pretty much empty. We drove through little canyons and explored every cove. Jenna enjoyed the ride, perched in her new favorite spot. Can't you just picture her tongue hanging out and flappin in the breeze? We parked the boat in a cozy little cove and let the kids fish for awhile. Next time we are going to buy them the "special" hooks that are round--hee hee--and they get to cast all they want all by themselves...After awhile, the skies started getting dark again. We drove into the middle of the lake, stopped the engine and watched the lighting show. It was at least 30 miles away, but it sure was spectacular. What a great memory. I wish my camera could've captured the clouds as they were--they were so pretty. This is the best shot I could get...it just doesn't show how amazing it was!All in all, it was a GREAT afternoon.

4 comments:

Supercords said...

What a fun trip. Thanks for remembering to bring the camera so you could share it with us.

Holly Sanders said...

How fun! I didn't know you guys had a boat--thanks for taking me boating. Do you water skii too? Thanks for taking me water skiing. Oh, yeah, I was preggers all last year--it probably wouldn't have happened anyways, but some day right?

my name is becky kelly said...

man, what a fun dad!that looks like it was an AWSOME day!

p.s. did i invite you to my blog? did you send me your email? yahooforyou@hotmail.com

becky

Pattens on Lambourne said...

Good for Brent and putting his foot down! And good for you for going along with it! It sounds like the perfect day to me. I am sure the kids loved it! It was great seeing you and your darling girls today!