Tuesday, April 20, 2010

GIRLS NIGHT!

I was tempted to title this post: "When BAD ideas happen to good people."

Last Monday me & my girls were walking through the local thrift store. Kesley & Jenna were aimlessly strolling down the isle when they both stopped in their tracks by the same object. There in front of us was a sparkly LIME green prom dress from the '80's--in my size. Kesley said, "Ohhh Mom!" Jenna was speechless.

Jenna has been begging for another "Three girls and a milkshake night" for a long time. Anyone remember that night when I squeezed my body into one of my daughters white sequined dress ups? The girls did my hair and we danced to Taylor Swift... ? Ring a bell? Anywho, as I was staring at the lime green, sequined monstrosity that was hanging on the rack in front of us, I had this great idea: We wouldn't just have any ole girls night, we would have the BEST GIRLS NIGHT EVER! A dress MY SIZE would give us some fun options. It was a sign from heaven when I saw that the dress was half off and only $6!! We bought it and started making plans for Saturday.

The wait from Monday to Saturday was an ETERNITY! To top things off, we spent Saturday morning and afternoon doing yard work. By 5:00 we were all tired and VERY dirty. We put on some Taylor Swift, took baths, and started to get ready. First up: FINGERS AND TOES!Next, HAIR! We all know I have ZERO talent in that area. I asked Aunt Bonnie if she would come over and do our hair for us. All the Smith girls are talented in this area. She did an AMAZING job. Jenna still keeps saying that her hair was her favorite part of the night! THANK YOU BONNIE!! Kesley will not sit like this and let me do her hair--not for a second. Step 3: Makeup! Bonnie was nice enough to do our make-up too. These ladies felt SO BEAUTIFUL. Now, it was time to put on our dresses for the big reveal...CHECK US OUT!! Can you believe someone parted with this spectacular dress!!?

Next up: EAT! Our original plan involved going to the mall (Kesleys favorite thing) and eating at Red Robin. But, you know how you always feel a little prettier (and 20 pounds lighter) before you actually see yourself in the picture? Ya. My ladies couldn't be cuter, but about this moment I started panicking! I kept thinking, "Could we just order in pizza? What can I make fast???" I REALLY didn't want to be seen in public like this.

The girls really wanted Bonnie to come with us. She was nice enough to be our chauffeur in her fancy new car (which beat the heck out of a dirty, old mini van!) and we took off. As we were driving by Macaroni Grill, I saw a group of ladies all decked out in their PROM DRESSES!! What are the odds? I realized we were going to be steering clear of any place where this dress could be taken seriously. So, here we are in ICEBERG! Don't judge. It's good food, yummy shakes and ALWAYS EMPTY!!! I was SO GLAD Bonnie was there. Thank you Bonnie for being the one to get up to get extra ketch-ups and napkins and spoons and waters...I seriously don't know what we would have done without you!! And Jenna even got her milk shake!Next Girls Night: MOVIES AND PIZZA!...at home.

13 comments:

your average nobody said...

I love it! And you all look BEAUTIFUL! I think I might have to borrow the dress for my activity days girls T-party :)

Prilla said...

You are such a fun mom!!! You guys look great!!!

Olivia.Leta said...

What a wonderful mom! I am sure your girls will always love thinking about these nights that you make them feel so special. Maria, you are great :)

Mary said...

Hey, a sequined dress up outfit for $6?? You couldn't pass that up. It looks like an awesome night. You're such a fun mom!

The dressing up and eating out at Iceberg reminds me of Fancy Nancy. Ever read that book?

my name is becky kelly said...

oh man. I wish we lived by you and could be invited to such events. What a good mom you are! poor Faith is stuck with boring ol' me. Our girl's night last Friday was somewhat of a bust because Zack had a diaper rash so badly that I didnt' send him with Shanan to the Father and son's campout (which reminds me, i forgot to blog about that) so, i kindof bummed out on faith. i made a treat, we ate it with ice cream, watched beauty and the beast and went to bed.
thanks for making me want to be better at girls night! :)
*becky kelly*

my name is becky kelly said...

by the way, i think you look fantastic in the lime green dress!

Holly Sanders said...

wow! You..look..gorgeous! If I had a million dollars I'd buy you a green dress--but not a real green dress that's cruel. Seriously though--you are a fun mom--my kids would love that--can you be their mom for things like this? They still talk about how you psinted their nails

Unknown said...

This was great fun. Made my evening.

Grandma Trudy said...

haha

Allred's said...

I really enjoyed reading this post. I feel like I know you so much better. I got some great idea's from your girls night out. (except with my 2 boys) You are such a sweet, fun mom.

jimnalli said...

seroiusly....could you be any awesomer!!??? You are the BEST MoM EVER!!!!!!!!!! And you all look so beautiful!!!!
I love the way you write too... you are soo hilarious!!

Pattens on Lambourne said...

Maria you are the best mom!!! I am sure that your girls love you even more. They will NEVER forget that night! I love that you all went OUT to eat. What a brave, great sport you are!!!!

Pattens on Lambourne said...

... I LOVE the pictures!!!!