Saturday, July 31, 2010

The perfect summer day--minus the Hindu Tourist attack

It's been years since I have been up Payson Canyon. I have memories of camping at Payson Lakes, only to be awakened by COWS roaming through camp at midnight. I really don't even remember ever seeing the lake. Yesterday my friend, Holly, called and we jumped at the chance to head up Payson canyon with them for the day. We had A BLAST and, yes, we did see quite a few wild cows.

This place is called The Grotto. Totally cool place that was only a 10 minute hike to get to. Jenna wasn't very excited when I said we were hiking to a waterfall--memories of the 4 mile trail of tears to Stewart Falls, I suppose. She said, "Is it just going to be ASPENS and ASPENS and ASPENS and ASPENS???" You can't really see how cool it was in this picture. It was a little cave in the middle of nowhere. Like something you would see in The Count of Monte Cristo.

All the kids (minus miles)
After a bus load (or so it seemed) of Hindu tourists arrived, we decided to keep driving up the canyon to Payson Lakes. Neither of us had been up there for years and we thought it would be fun to go hike around and eat a snack...or two. When we got there and saw how AWESOME the lake was, and how much fun people were having swimming in it, we stripped the kids down to their skivvies and let them have at it! They had the time of their lives with nothing but a big log. Next time we will come prepared with swimming suits and maybe even a raft...SO FUN!
We ended the day at my house with hot dogs, corn on the cob & watermelon. It was a perfect summer day.

4 comments:

Prilla said...

How fun! I've never been up Payson canyon. But after seeing your pics, it's a must before summer's over!

Holly Sanders said...

Dude, are we so ghetto or what? That made my last day in Utah so fun! Looking at those pics makes you realize how gorgeous that place was! Thanks for entertaining and feeding me lots this summer. I'm sure you're totally sick of me. By the way, Miles woke up this morning and has about7 slivers in his feet. Whoops--should've put some shoes on him--my bad, not yours.

Tiffney said...

WOW.. I can't believe I've never been there. We need to go sometime. Looks like a total blast!! LOVE those kiddos!!! Miss you all!

Mary said...

Wow, I've never been there. Maybe next time I'm in Utah we'll have to try it.

And yes! You need to come see me when you're driving through. Pretty please!!!