Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A dream that you wish--and FORCE me to do--just may actually come true


Gavin is still riding high from his spectacular #1 Smith finish from the Fun Run at school. Ever since then he has been talking about running in the 4th of July Race that his cousin, Bronx ran in a few years ago. The last couple of weeks his requests have turned into anxious reminders and mini quilt trips. "Mom, PLEASE can I run? It's my D R E A M! I really want to. I don't need a trophy--I'll just tell them NO THANKS--I just really want to run in it!"

I promised him I would start training with him. Funny how things are so much simpler in the planning stages. I have been able weasel my way out of going the last couple of days, but today he wasn't taking "I'm too tired and it's like 100 degrees outside!" for an answer.

After walking down to the high school track, I tried to give him a few helpful hints to becoming a great runner, you know, breathing, posture, pacing yourself--that sort of thing. WHATEVER sums up the response I was getting, so I let him learn for himself! "No we are not stopping after 200 meters! Keep running! Run to the water bottle at the starting line!" Every time he would make it back to our waiting water bottle he would need to stop for a second to catch his breath and just chat for a few seconds--anything to postpone the inevitable!

We were both dead coming around the last 200 meters, but I told him we were going to sprint the last 100 meters to the end. Flash backs of track races came flooding back--that same dead leg feeling that is unmistakable. The thought that you may just be peeing your pants and not have any control over it... The metal taste in my mouth. I hated track--but loved it at the same time.

Gavin couldn't help himself when he crossed the finish line just before me (like I didn't LET him!) "I..pant pant...came in first....pant pant...you...pant pant...came in second..." Little stinker. So I said, "Do you want to keep running? We can run another mile! :)" The look on his face said it all, but he summoned up his courage and said "Sure, just let me...pop my knees." I wish I had video of the actual attempt to "pop" his knees!
Slightly athletically challenged but the BEST running partner I could ever ask for--and he kept me laughing and entertained with his "I had chili for lunch" serenade every other step around the track....HILARIOUS! Love this kid.

6 comments:

Jake and Jenny said...

That is the best running partner! I started running recently and Sammi is my best sidekick too!

Olivia.Leta said...

That is so great! I hope to someday have a son that will run with me. I will just have to keep working on Joseph for now.

Tiffney said...

He's the BEST!! I LOVE that kiddo!! Good job on the runnin!

gillespie said...

Great picture Gavin! And way to go on the training. Only a week left - can't wait to hear the results.

Mary said...

That picture is too funny.

Can you teach me how to run, too? Well, remind my body how to? It does not cooperate.

J&B Barrett said...

Can I come over and play on that slide?